#WhatAboutWeddings is for everyone in the wedding sector – from couples whose weddings have been impacted, to businesses whose livelihoods are under threat.
On 24th September 2020, the Chancellor unveiled The Winter Economy Plan, setting out how the UK would navigate the winter months as COVID-19 continues to restrict many aspects of our daily lives – and including weddings and events.
The plan does not address or acknowledge the issues faced by hundreds of thousands of viable businesses in the events industry, including weddings, which are prevented from trading due to the restrictions.
Support solutions must urgently be found to ensure our world-class wedding sector, and the wider UK events industry survives through to a time we can resume normal trading when weddings and events can safely take place.
Short term investment in our sector will generate high returns for the Treasury in the first six months of trading.
We are viable and we must retain the expertise of our individual businesses (which are now as lean as they can be) and within the sector as a whole. We are confident that a proper understanding of our sector will gain the support of government and the Treasury.
Over the past months, #WhatAboutWeddings campaigners have been:
- Actively seeking a roadmap and clarity for safe reopening.
- Encouraging and make it easy for couples and business owners to lobby their MPs.
- Educating the media to recognise wedding businesses as valuable and competent contributors to the UK economy.
- Supporting couples devastated by the impact of COVID-19 on their milestone celebrations.
- Researching and analysing sector data and collecting new data to gain a better understanding of the make-up and worth of the UK wedding sector.
- Liaising with UK government on the need for clarity and improved communication, and a package of measures to restore consumer confidence in the ability of our sector to navigate safely to the other side of the pandemic.
Page last updated on 19th October 2020.